The Regional State Library is situated in the heart of the old city of Regensburg, which was inscribed on the UNESCO world heritage list in 2006. It is the regional library for Regensburg and the Upper Palatinate.
The Regional State Library was founded in 1816 and inherited the valuable holdings of the former Imperial City of Regensburg. Today the library’s collections comprise around 470,000 items.
Since 1987 the legal deposit law has been in force, which ensures that the Regional State Library holds one copy of every printed work published in the Upper Palatinate.